- This event has passed.
The Association of American Schools of Central America, Colombia-Caribbean, & Mexico – Annual Leadership Conference
Cultures of Dignity will host two presentations:
Creating a Culture of Dignity – Treating people with dignity matters. But creating a culture of dignity must go beyond slogans,
posters and programs that don’t have real-life applications or only exist briefly and then disappear. What is needed is a principle-based approach that gives people structure and flexibility to turn common social challenges that often exacerbate tensions between us into
teachable moments where everyone’s dignity is affirmed. Moments that create a sense of belonging for everyone. With this as a foundation, adults and young people can learn skills to understand emotions, manage conflicts, create appropriate boundaries, and effectively advocate for themselves. This environment creates strong, supportive relationships where adults, children, and communities thrive.
● How to apply a principles-based approach
● Differentiating respect and dignity to transform relationships
● Using social and emotional learning to build group cohesion
● Identifying dynamics that lead to social conflict
● Repairing and strengthening relationships after conflict or making assumptions
● Demonstrating ethical authority
#StudentVoiceMatters – Young people are asking for leadership roles in new and innovative ways. These roles include traditional leadership positions like student councils, peer leadership, orientations, athletic teams and student advocacy groups. How do students bring dignity into their understanding of leadership and learn effective strategies to manage groups, inspire, and listen to others? This
workshop can be designed for educators who work with young people or can be done with young people themselves.
● Defining leadership outside of formal roles
● Showing the difference between being bossy and leadership
● Understanding how young people’s experience with people in authority influence their own leadership style
● Creating a feeling of belonging in the group so people feel their contribution is valued
● Managing conflicts as a leader
● Learning to advocate and work with the adults
Hosted by Charlie Kuhn