- This event has passed.
Washakie County Youth Alternatives – Creating Cultures of Dignity: Leading, Learning, and Delivering (LLD) SEL Workshop
November 30, 2022
Treating people with dignity matters. But creating a culture of dignity must go beyond slogans, posters, and programs that don’t have real-life applications or only exist briefly and then disappear. A principle-based approach is needed to give people structure and flexibility to turn common social challenges that often exacerbate our tensions into teachable moments where everyone’s dignity is affirmed. With this as a foundation, adults and young people can learn skills to understand emotions, manage conflicts, create appropriate boundaries, and effectively advocate for themselves. This environment creates solid and supportive relationships where adults, children, and communities thrive.
The driving question of this session is, how do adults interact with students to bring dignity into their understanding of leadership and empower them to be influential members of their communities? This workshop can be designed for community members and educators who work with young people or can be done with young people themselves.
- How to apply a principles-based approach
- Differentiating respect and dignity to transform relationships
- Using social and emotional learning to build group cohesion
- Identifying dynamics that lead to social conflict
- Repairing and strengthening relationships after conflict or making assumptions
- Demonstrating ethical authority