- This event has passed.
Webinar – SEL is Not a Program, it’s a Teachable Moment
April 14, 2022 @ 1:00 pm EDT
Treating each other with dignity matters. It is essential for young people to learn, for teachers to feel confident in their teaching, and for parents to understand that educators care and are responsible for the academic, social, and emotional well-being of their children.
Creating a culture of dignity in a school can’t be limited to slogans, posters, and programs that don’t have real-life applications or only briefly exist and then disappear. Educators can’t be expected to invest their time or energy into these initiatives when they are not given the training to do them well and children often find them irrelevant.
What is needed is a principle-and application-based approach that gives educators the structure and flexibility to turn common classroom social and emotional challenges into teachable moments where everyone’s dignity is affirmed. With dignity a foundation, the skills to manage challenging social interactions and complicated emotions between adults and young people become possible, not as meaningless slogan repetition but as a foundational Teachable Moment.
This webinar will cover:
- Defining the difference between respect and dignity to build a sense of belonging in a school community
- Application-based approaches for introducing SEL “moments” into your teaching
- Understanding how student perspectives and social and emotional needs lead to student distraction
- Demonstrating authority with dignity after a conflict or power struggle
- Showing young people a path to have ownership and engagement in their education
Time: 1 PM EST